American Psychological Association or APA has published requirements that are specific guidelines for writing assignments and papers in social sciences. Aside from guidelines for citations, references and initial pages, you will find of course some guidelines for the outlines of papers and assignments.
Basic principles and guidelines in American Psychological Association (APA)
The basic rules and guidelines within the American Psychological Association (APA) are the following:
- 12-point Sheriff, Times New Roman or Courier font for all text and a minimum of 8-point font for tables and figures.
- The writing should be double spaced like the quotes and reference list.
- The page numbers should be located in the upper right corner for the paper.
- The margins should always be set to 1” on each relative side of the paper.
- The title of the thesis should be stated from the cover page and after that it should really be placed only into the left corner that is upper of pages.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) will not use underlined text. Bolded text can be utilized only on figures and tables when data that are specific be stressed and highlighted.
- Capitalization can also be rarely used. Job titles could be capitalized only then it will be President Williams) if the person’s name follows (for example, it will be the president of the company but in case the last name is given. Also, names of models, theories, diseases and conditions are not capitalized.
- It is within a paragraph, then you must use (a), (b), (c), etc. in that order when you list something in APA and if. Then you have to use bullet points if, however, you do not want to use a specific order. Vertical lists are utilized if you want to express information however in certain order. There was one specific rule when writing numbers in APA style; numbers 10 and higher are written in numbers but numbers from 10 and listed here are written out. Exception is good for age, time, distance, percentage and various ratios, they are always stated as numerals, unless if they’re not located at the beginning of the sentence.
- Latin abbreviations are also not used; as an example: etc., i.e., e.g. yet others. The language that is used in American Psychological Association (APA) needs to be bias-free and respectful.
There are some specific guidelines in American Psychological Association (APA) that demonstrate simple tips to write an outline in APA format.
- Pressed for time?
- Trying to find a subject matter expert?
- Need a high-quality, plagiarism-free paper?
How to write a plan in APA format
Writing an outline in APA format is focused on structuring. Roman letters that are numeral found in the primary headings for the outline and capital letters are employed below for sub-headings. If you have to continue within the sub headings you will use lower case letters and Arab numbers below in parenthesis. Listed here is an example of how a plan in APA format would seem like:
I. Choose a right thesis for your essay
A. Reflect on your thesis
B. Start researching your thesis
1. Search for facts and examples that prove your thesis when you look at the best way that is possible
2. Outline and draft your results and thesis prior to starting to publish
II. Start to write your essay
A. Form a introduction paragraph that is strong
B. Start writing the outline of the essay
1. Organize the paragraphs in the outline
a. The strongest example that supports your thesis should be the first paragraph
(1) The next ones are organized and structured by priority and strength
(2) Use at least three arguments to support your thesis
b. Use a counter argument
(1) Be sure the counter argument can be debated
c. Use a personal story to prove your thesis
d. Revise your outline
III. Finish a conclusion paragraph to your essay
A. The final paragraph should restate your thesis
1. Make the conclusion strong and convincing
a. Usually do not restate the examples but summarize the most important and influential part of them
b. Use simple but strong sentences
IV. Always proofread your essays at least one time and then make sure they’ve been grammatically correct and well written.
You need to use sentences that are full just phrases within the outline. There is an additional form for outlining an essay in APA format and it is called the decimal one. It is used rarely and about it if it has to, the professor will strictly inform you. On it you shall use Arabic numbers only. Let me reveal a short example:
1.0. Select the right thesis for your essay
1.1. Think on your thesis
1.2. Start researching your thesis
1.2.1. Try to find facts and examples that prove your thesis within the best way that is possible
1.2.2. Outline and draft your thesis and results before starting to publish
It is very important for an outline to be well structured and written it and believe in it because it forms an overall impression of your essay and convinces the audience to accept.